From: Alex Schuster <wonko@×××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] USB printer and new cups
Date: Sat, 15 May 2010 21:57:36
1 Hi there!
2
3 I want to setup an USB printer. So I http://localhost:631/, and notice
4 that the interface has changed. And when I try to add a printer, the only
5 options for a local printer are SCSI-printer and HAL printing backend. And
6 on the next screen, I have to enter the device URI by hand. How should I
7 know what to enter there? And wasn't there an autodetect feature? Is the
8 new CUPS (1.4.3) generally behaving like this lately, or is something
9 wrong with my setup?
10
11 The usb use flag is set. lsusb shows the printer as "Bus 001 Device 003:
12 ID 04a9:10a5 Canon, Inc. iP5200".
13
14 What is a HAL printing backend? Do I have to add some crazy fdi stuff for
15 the printer? CUPS does not even have a hal use flag. Dale, help!
16
17 Wonko