From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] USB printer and new cups
Date: Sat, 15 May 2010 23:02:42
1 Alex Schuster wrote:
2 > Hi there!
3 >
4 > I want to setup an USB printer. So I http://localhost:631/, and notice
5 > that the interface has changed. And when I try to add a printer, the only
6 > options for a local printer are SCSI-printer and HAL printing backend. And
7 > on the next screen, I have to enter the device URI by hand. How should I
8 > know what to enter there? And wasn't there an autodetect feature? Is the
9 > new CUPS (1.4.3) generally behaving like this lately, or is something
10 > wrong with my setup?
11 >
12 > The usb use flag is set. lsusb shows the printer as "Bus 001 Device 003:
13 > ID 04a9:10a5 Canon, Inc. iP5200".
14 >
15 > What is a HAL printing backend? Do I have to add some crazy fdi stuff for
16 > the printer? CUPS does not even have a hal use flag. Dale, help!
17 >
18 > Wonko
22 Well I have a HP. I had trouble the other day, read that as the printer
23 was turned off and I didn't know it, so I deleted the printer. That was
24 when I realized it was turned off, so I turned it back on and hplip or
25 something just added the printer without me doing anything. KDE showed
26 a little pop up and it was done and it has printed ever since. This
27 could be habit forming tho. ;-) I like things that "just work".
28
29 Do you have ppds and dbus USE flag enabled for cups? As far as I know,
30 that is all I enabled for mine. Just for reference, this is my USE flags:
31
32 USE="X avahi dbus gnutls java jpeg ldap pam perl png ppds python ssl
33 tiff zeroconf -acl -kerberos -php -samba -slp -static -xinetd"
34
35 The two I mentioned above is the main ones I would guess. Most of mine
36 are global flags.
37
38 I hope you see something to at least try.
39
40 Dale
41