From: "Canek Peláez Valdés" <caneko@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Don't disable 'introspection'
Date: Thu, 16 Jul 2015 22:31:39
1 On Thu, Jul 16, 2015 at 3:53 PM, walt <w41ter@×××××.com> wrote:
2 >
3 > I don't understand 'introspection' enough to know why we need it, but
4 > apparently we do, so don't use the -introspection useflag like I did.
5 >
6 > The trouble I introduced a few weeks ago when I disabled introspection
7 > was subtle enough that I didn't realize until yesterday that I even had
8 > a problem.
9 >
10 > Portage had been doing mildly insane things that other people were not
11 > seeing, so as a test I removed the -introspection useflag and spent the
12 > entire day rebuilding packages. My portage problem appears to be
13 > fixed. I hope.
14 >
15 > If anyone can splain what introspection does I'd be grateful.
16
17 Alan did a fine job explaining what introspection is in general. In Gentoo,
18 the introspection flag is only used by GObject based libraries; all the
19 languages that natively supports introspection does it inconditionally, and
20 (as far as I am aware) GObject is the only C object oriented library that
21 provides introspection.
22
23 Some years ago, you could get away without activating it, but nowadays is
24 for all practical purposes mandatory. At least this is the case for GNOME
25 3; but I would not be surprised if it's also the case for basically any
26 GObject based software; that covers all GTK+ 2 and 3 applications. The
27 instrospection infrastructure is not only used (as Alan mentioned) to "look
28 inside" a compiled class; it's also part of the automatic binding
29 generation for other programming languages used by all GObject libraries
30 (or at lest that's what I understand, please correct me if I'm wrong).
31 Therefore, if you use Inkscape, for example, you'll need introspection
32 since Inkscape is wrote in C++ using the gtk-- bindings.
33
34 In general, I would recommend not to set USE="-*" (an opinion shared by
35 basically all Gentoo devs and most rational people), and let the default
36 use flags to do their magic. But everyone is free to break their systems as
37 they please.
38
39 Regards.
40 --
41 Canek Peláez Valdés
42 Profesor de asignatura, Facultad de Ciencias