From: Ashley Dixon <ash@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Alternate Incoming Mail Server
Date: Mon, 06 Apr 2020 12:35:22
1 Hello,
2
3 After many hours of confusing mixtures of pain and pleasure, I have a secure and
4 well-behaved e-mail server which encompasses all the features I originally
5 desired. However, in the event that I need to reboot the server (perhaps a
6 kernel update was added to Portage), I would like to have a miniature mail
7 server which catches incoming mail if, and only if, my primary server is down.
8
9 I have Gentoo installation on an old Raspberry Pi (model B+), and was curious if
10 such a set-up was possible ? I also want the solution to be as minimal as
11 possible. I see the problem as three parts:
12
13 (a) Convincing the D.N.S.\ and my router to redirect mail to the alternate
14 server, should the default one not be reachable;
15
16 (b) Creating the alternate mail server to be as lightweight as possible. I'm
17 not even sure if I need an S.M.T.P.\ server (postfix). Would courier-imap do
18 the trick on its own (with courier-authlib and mysql) ?
19
20 (c) Moving mail from the alternate server to the main server once the latter
21 has regained conciousness. I realise this is a slightly different problem, and
22 is not even necessarily _required_ for operation, although it's certainly a
23 nice-to-have.
24
25 What do you think; is this at all possible ? Has anyone here done anything like
26 this before ?
27
28 Thanks in advance.
32 Ashley Dixon