From: John Blinka <jblinka@××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] kdm wierdness
Date: Fri, 25 Aug 2006 20:57:32
1 Hi, all,
2
3 I have been using the kdm graphical login for all my gentoo machines
4 for a very long time without any problems - except for the past few
5 months on one machine. On this machine, the first login after booting
6 always fails. All subsequent logins succeed. More specifically, after
7 I try to
8 log in following a boot, the kdm login window disappears for the better
9 part of a minute, followed by a brief black screen, then followed by a
10 kdm login window and background. Logging in again produces my usual
11 xfce4 window manager without any delay. Logging in to a kde-3.5 session
12 instead of xfce4 produces the same behavior, except that the delay
13 during the first login attempt is many minutes. It's as if kdm were trying
14 to start an xfce4 or kde-3.5 session, but couldn't, then redisplays the
15 kdm login window after the failure. It seems as if the initial failure to
16 start a session clears out whatever it is that prevents the session from
17 starting, so that subsequent login attempts start sessions successfully.
18
19 This behavior is actually an improvement from about a month ago.
20 At that time X would crash after the initial login attempt. I learned that
21 logging into the console as root and restarting kdm would allow
22 successful graphical logins after that initial crash.
23
24 Any ideas about what to do? The logs have never contained any error
25 messages about the problem.
26
27 John Blinka
28 --