From: Wynn Wolf Arbor <wolf@××××××.systems>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Trouble with backup harddisks
Date: Thu, 30 Apr 2020 20:48:02
1 On 2020-04-30 22:21, Andrea Conti wrote:
2 >It won't, as long as it recognizes it as a protective MBR. Which is the
3 >right thing to do, as a disk with a protective MBR and no valid GPT is
4 >inherently broken.
5
6 True. It was more my intention to depict what the system "should" do in
7 order to access the file system.
8
9 >... or just bypass the partition table altogether. The filesystem
10 >starts at sector 1, i.e. 1*512B, so:
11 >
12 >mount -o ro,offset=512 /dev/sdb /mnt/xxx
13
14 Interesting, thanks. I was initially considering something like this
15 myself, but after a cursory check of the manual, I was under the
16 assumption that 'offset' was only valid with loop devices and dismissed
17 that solution.
18
19 Turns out if you mount a drive like this, the kernel uses a loop device
20 in the background and you can use the 'offset' option with block devices
21 as well. I feel the documentation could be improved here.
24 Wolf