From: tuxic@××××××.de
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Trouble with backup harddisks
Date: Fri, 01 May 2020 05:07:20
1 On 04/30 10:47, Wynn Wolf Arbor wrote:
2 > On 2020-04-30 22:21, Andrea Conti wrote:
3 > > It won't, as long as it recognizes it as a protective MBR. Which is the
4 > > right thing to do, as a disk with a protective MBR and no valid GPT is
5 > > inherently broken.
6 >
7 > True. It was more my intention to depict what the system "should" do in
8 > order to access the file system.
9 >
10 > > ... or just bypass the partition table altogether. The filesystem starts
11 > > at sector 1, i.e. 1*512B, so:
12 > >
13 > > mount -o ro,offset=512 /dev/sdb /mnt/xxx
14 >
15 > Interesting, thanks. I was initially considering something like this myself,
16 > but after a cursory check of the manual, I was under the assumption that
17 > 'offset' was only valid with loop devices and dismissed that solution.
18 >
19 > Turns out if you mount a drive like this, the kernel uses a loop device in
20 > the background and you can use the 'offset' option with block devices as
21 > well. I feel the documentation could be improved here.
22 >
23 > --
24 > Wolf
27 Hi Andrea, hi Wolf
28
29 does my posting from this morning reached you ?
30 ...I did not received anything back from the mailinglist...
31
32 Cheers!
33 Meino