From: "Poison BL." <poisonbl@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] vmware-server is gone?
Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2014 21:02:39
1 On Mon, Mar 17, 2014 at 3:52 PM, Stefan G. Weichinger <lists@×××××.at> wrote:
2 > Am 17.03.2014 20:30, schrieb J. Roeleveld:
3 >
4 >> I've been planning to try KVM as well, but am wondering how snapshots work
5 >> with KVM. Not been able to find anything about that apart from
6 >> disk-snapshots. No info if it's possible to take a copy of the memory as
7 >> well.
8 >
9 > I run KVM in combo with LVM snapshots for backups. RAM snapshots? Not
10 > sure ...
11 >
12 >>> I am right before installing Qemu and configuring the network bridge etc
13 >>> ... the vmdks are already converted. Maybe it doesn't take that long.
14 >>
15 >> I don't think it should take very long. :)
16 >> But, do check that the vmware tools get uninstalled from the guests and
17 >> replaced by KVM equivalents.
18 >
19 > I have the VMs now, but both are XP guests and therefore crashing
20 > because the weren't prepared with something like MergeIDE ... :-(
21 >
22 > *sigh*
23 >
24 > Does anyone know if there is a trick applying these drivers *without*
25 > having a running VMware-Server?
26 >
27 > S
28
29 I suspect you don't have a WinPE bootable handy (UBCD in particular
30 has the tools handy for this, Hiren's as well), but if you happened to
31 magic one up, there's a quick script called "Fix IDE" (or "Fix HDC"
32 which does similar) that reverts to the generic catch-all driver that
33 usually works to get XP booting on new 'hardware' (whether real or
34 otherwise).
35
36 One thing I absolutely love about AHCI, while Windows 7 still binds to
37 hardware specific drivers in the long run, only having to change 2
38 registry values (start values in iastorv and msahci) is far, far,
39 easier than the mess XP had for hardware migrations ;)
42 Poison [BLX]
43 Joshua M. Murphy