From: Rasmus Andersen <rasmus@×××××××××.dk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] My portage is hosed (segfaults) and I dont know why...
Date: Thu, 07 Feb 2008 15:31:34
1 Hello,
2
3 It seems that my portage or python installation or the combination
4 thereof has become borked. Whenever I run a portage-related program
5 (emerge, eclean, portageq, etc) I get segfaults. Due to these being
6 scripts, gdb is not of much help... I am able to start python normally
7 and get it to add numbers so python is not completely hosed. But I lack
8 another python program of substance to test whats wrong. The last thing
9 I emerged successfully was iptables and it seems unlikely that they had
10 an influence on python/portage.
11
12 ...
13
14 Thinking again I have rdiff-backup around. Testing that shows a small
15 backup to go ok and a largish backup to fail with sigsegv. The box as
16 such is busy enough, memorywise, and survives parallel kernel compiles
17 and untars fine.
18
19 So, I guess I have two questions: One, do anyone have a reasonable
20 opinion of what is wrong? Failing that, two: How do I reestablish python
21 and/or portage with the least pain? I have both in my PKGDIR, can I
22 'just' untar them on top of the existing installation?
23
24 Thanks,
25 Rasmus
26 --