From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Contradictionary behaviour of SMART on hds ?!?
Date: Sun, 27 Jul 2014 18:58:05
1 On Sun, 27 Jul 2014 12:41:15 +0200, meino.cramer@×××.de wrote:
2
3 > > My understanding is that the test only aborts if the error is severe
4 > > enough to force it to do so. A simple bad block can be skipped and the
5 > > rest of the drive tested.
6
7 > But it is slightly off the point I tried to explain (I am no native
8 > english speaker...sorry...:)
9 >
10 > Suppose - as in my case - I have not yert managed to urge the hd to
11 > map the bad sector off...
12 >
13 > Now...all tests abort after scanning 10% of the disk. Disk health
14 > status is reported as "PASSED"...cause only one bad sector has been
15 > found.
16 >
17 > But 90% of the space of the disk has never been scanned.
18
19 Read the smartctl message again, it's not reporting a bad sector, it's
20 reporting a read failure. Bad sectors are detected and mapped out in the
21 background, you have something more serious, something that prevents the
22 drive scanning past this point. If it's less then two years old, send it
23 back. Most drive manufacturers have a form on their web site where you
24 can input the serial number and see the warranty status. If you can
25 return it so so, ASAP.
29 Neil Bothwick
30
31 Press every key to continue.