From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Contradictionary behaviour of SMART on hds ?!?
Date: Sun, 27 Jul 2014 19:20:34
1 Neil Bothwick wrote:
2 > On Sun, 27 Jul 2014 12:41:15 +0200, meino.cramer@×××.de wrote:
3 >
4 >>> My understanding is that the test only aborts if the error is severe
5 >>> enough to force it to do so. A simple bad block can be skipped and the
6 >>> rest of the drive tested.
7 >> But it is slightly off the point I tried to explain (I am no native
8 >> english speaker...sorry...:)
9 >>
10 >> Suppose - as in my case - I have not yert managed to urge the hd to
11 >> map the bad sector off...
12 >>
13 >> Now...all tests abort after scanning 10% of the disk. Disk health
14 >> status is reported as "PASSED"...cause only one bad sector has been
15 >> found.
16 >>
17 >> But 90% of the space of the disk has never been scanned.
18 > Read the smartctl message again, it's not reporting a bad sector, it's
19 > reporting a read failure. Bad sectors are detected and mapped out in the
20 > background, you have something more serious, something that prevents the
21 > drive scanning past this point. If it's less then two years old, send it
22 > back. Most drive manufacturers have a form on their web site where you
23 > can input the serial number and see the warranty status. If you can
24 > return it so so, ASAP.
28 Glad you noticed something I didn't. I just wish it was better news for
29 the OP.
30
31 Question. Does that mean that the heads can't move past that point? If
32 yes, does that mean the OP can't get any data that is further out than
33 that point? I'm asking hoping I will learn something. I have taken
34 drives apart so I know how the arm moves the heads across the platter.
35 If I get what you are saying, it's like the heads get to a certain
36 point, about 10%, and then stop.
37
38 Thanks.
39