From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Contradictionary behaviour of SMART on hds ?!?
Date: Sun, 27 Jul 2014 21:21:24
1 On Sun, 27 Jul 2014 14:20:23 -0500, Dale wrote:
2
3 > Question. Does that mean that the heads can't move past that point? If
4 > yes, does that mean the OP can't get any data that is further out than
5 > that point? I'm asking hoping I will learn something. I have taken
6 > drives apart so I know how the arm moves the heads across the platter.
7 > If I get what you are saying, it's like the heads get to a certain
8 > point, about 10%, and then stop.
9
10 I don't think so, as I've seen this sort of thing on a drive but still
11 been able to access ~all my data. It seems that the SMART tests are a
12 little stupid in this respect and give up when they decide a drive is
13 broken, as opposed to failing.
17 Neil Bothwick
18
19 Irritable? Who the bloody hell are you calling irritable?