From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Hard drive pricing and the near future
Date: Thu, 07 Oct 2021 07:49:16
1 Frank Steinmetzger wrote:
2 > Am Wed, Oct 06, 2021 at 10:24:07PM +0200 schrieb Frank Steinmetzger:
3 >> Am Tue, Oct 05, 2021 at 06:32:24PM -0500 schrieb Dale:
4 >>> Howdy all,
5 >>> […]
6 >>> If anyone reading this does track the pricing of drives, are they on the
7 >>> rise, stable, dropping or what?  Is this a good time to expand while it
8 >>> is more cost effective?
9 >> Well I’m on ye Olde Continent and here I use a price search engine called
10 >> geizhals (German for scrooge). But they have an English equivalent ;-) and
11 >> of course use European pricing schemes (meaning including taxes, which you
12 >> do different).
13 >> https://skinflint.co.uk/?m=1
14 >>
15 >> The big difference here: it allows you to filter and sort by all sorts of
16 >> criteria, such as being (non-)SMR or price/TB. And it shows you the prices
17 >> of lots of different shops, including Amazon. So while it may not give you
18 >> an idea of the US market, it gives you one of available drive models.
19 > Ah, and another reason why I wanted to suggest this site: it also remembers
20 > the price development of an item. If you view an item’s details, you have
21 > its price history on the top right of the screen.
25 I used to use pricewatch.com but it seems to be gone now.  I also ran up
26 on a site once that shows a graph of prices going back to when a product
27 was first introduced.  Since my brain has no elephant genes, I have no
28 idea what the name of the site was nor can I find it now either.  :-/
29
30 Neat sites tho.
31
32 Dale