From: Volker Armin Hemmann <volkerarmin@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Testing SSD? (Somewhat OT)
Date: Wed, 29 Jul 2015 23:55:59
1 Am 29.07.2015 um 22:57 schrieb Daniel Frey:
2 > On 07/29/2015 08:34 AM, Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:
3 >> Am 29.07.2015 um 16:52 schrieb Daniel Frey:
4 >>> On 07/28/2015 12:04 AM, Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:
5 >>>> you know - this does not sound like ssd failure. Most SSDs bomb out by
6 >>>> just becoming completely unacessible.
7 >>>>
8 >>>> dmesg errors?
9 >>> Filled with /dev/sda errors when it "failed".
10 >> oh the joy.
11 > Yeah. I don't remember what the exact error message was, other than it
12 > was filled with "can't read" and "can't write" in the messages.
13 >
14 > Booting from USB worked fine. Compiling while booted from USB worked
15 > until I chroot'ed to the failed SSD. Then a bunch of segfaults and other
16 > weird errors.
17 >
18 > I've seen this before both at home and work, where SSDs do this with no
19 > warning. IMO they're way too unreliable. I don't have one in my server
20 > or workstation at home. I had one in my server and it lasted two years
21 > before similar issues above. It (server SSD) was replaced with a
22 > spinning disk 3 years ago and it's still running today. I'm pretty sure
23 > if I replaced it with another SSD it would've failed already.
24 >
25 >>>> are you using ecc ram?
26 >>> Nope.
27 >>>
28 >>>> if not - maybe, just maybe it is your ram at fault. The stuff the kernel
29 >>>> sends and the stuff that end on the ssd might not be identical.
30 >>>>
31 >>> Ran memtest overnight on it, no errors.
32 >>>
33 >>> Dan
34 >>>
35 >>>
36 >>>
37 >> I had ram that passed memtest - and zfs detected errors. Went ecc ram,
38 >> no more errors.
39 >>
40 >> With ram hammer as latest attack vector, ecc is even more worth its money.
41 >>
42 > ECC is fine and dandy, but this motherboard doesn't support it. It's a
43 > desktop board from 2008. All it does is a frontend for mythtv, nothing else.
47 > Dan
51 are you sure? Asus boards usually support ECC (at least their AMD boards
52 do) and many Gigabyte boards support ECC without telling about it
53 (gigabyte user forums can usually answer that).