From: Brandon Vargo <brandon.vargo@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Looking for x86 or AMD64 disassembler
Date: Sun, 06 Dec 2009 01:30:59
1 On Sat, 2009-12-05 at 19:33 -0500, David Relson wrote:
2 > I'm looking for a disassembler so that I can see the underlying
3 > assembly code in a variety of files, for example elf executables, DOS
4 > executables, binary files (such as the master boot record (MBR)), etc.
5 [snip]
6 > What do you all recommend for disassemblers? Are there any good ones
7 > for Gentoo?
8
9 I've used objdump (part of binutils) in the past for looking at ELF
10 files; look at the -d option for disassembly. A quick test shows that it
11 seems to work for exe files too, but I've never used it that way as I
12 don't use Windows much, so I don't know for sure.
13
14 For the MBR, I don't know of any disassemblers per-se, but hex editors
15 work well depending on what you are doing. hexdump (part of
16 sys-apps/util-linux) works well. You might want to make an image of the
17 MBR first with dd, depending on which tool you use, as some do not
18 support reading from the disk directly.
19
20 Regards,
21
22 Brandon Vargo