From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: Gentoo User <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] ALSA wizard...
Date: Sat, 25 Apr 2020 00:18:51
1 On Fri, Apr 24, 2020 at 4:17 PM Jorge Almeida <jjalmeida@×××××.com> wrote:
2 >
3 > On Fri, Apr 24, 2020 at 11:46 PM Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com> wrote:
7 > > > > Do you have a Window license you can run in a VM? I suspect that
8 might work pretty well. I used to run Go2Meeting that way and never had any
9 trouble.
10 > > >
11 > > > I think I'm entitled to an unexpensive licence @work. Maybe that's the
12 > > > solution, such as it is. I bought micro+interface specifically for
13 > > > this purpose (voice chat) and I don't feel like giving up. Next step
14 > > > is learning about VMs, I suppose.
15 > >
16 > > I'd hate it if you had to go that way.
17 > Well, touching Windows is somewhat repulsive, no doubt, but I'll survive
18 :)
21 I hope you don't have to. I'm not the least bit confident about how a
22 virtual card is going to work with VM like Virtualbox.
25 > > I don't think I ever saw the name of the actual USB interface you're
26 using. Can you give me a link to look at it?
27 > >
28 > https://www.amazon.de/dp/B00EK1OTZC/ref=pe_3044161_189395811_TE_SCE_dp_1
29
30 OK, that device is pretty simple. If you set this device as the default
31 Alsa device can you get simple audio, from YouTube for example, out through
32 the headphone jack? We know the mic input works. If both of those work then
33 what does discord do?
34
35 I own a similar device (from a functional POV - a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2)
36 which I use on my laptop for simple recording of guitar practice sessions
37 or to record my guitar parts to get added to other musician friend's
38 recordings.
39
40 https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Scarlet2i2G3--focusrite-scarlett-2i2-3rd-gen-usb-audio-interface
41
42 I use line level inputs but I can hook up a mic. If I get some time I might
43 look at installing discord to see if it works at all but I don't know how
44 to test discord itself.
45
46 - Mark