From: Jorge Almeida <jjalmeida@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] ALSA wizard...
Date: Sat, 25 Apr 2020 08:08:36
1 On Sat, Apr 25, 2020 at 1:19 AM Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com> wrote:
7 > I hope you don't have to. I'm not the least bit confident about how a virtual card is going to work with VM like Virtualbox.
8 OK, that
9 >
10 > > >
11 > > > I don't think I ever saw the name of the actual USB interface you're using. Can you give me a link to look at it?
12 > > >
13 > > https://www.amazon.de/dp/B00EK1OTZC/ref=pe_3044161_189395811_TE_SCE_dp_1
14 >
15 > OK, that device is pretty simple. If you set this device as the default Alsa device can you get simple audio, from YouTube for example, out through the headphone jack? We know the mic input works. If both of those work then what does discord do?
16
17 I'm lost here. The headphone jack in the interface is just a monitor.
18 I don't think there's any connection with the headphone jack in the
19 motherboard? (I can't test it anyway with my headphones---different
20 jack sizes)
23 > I own a similar device (from a functional POV - a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2) which I use on my laptop for simple recording of guitar practice sessions or to record my guitar parts to get added to other musician friend's recordings.
24 >
25 > https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Scarlet2i2G3--focusrite-scarlett-2i2-3rd-gen-usb-audio-interface
26 >
27 > I use line level inputs but I can hook up a mic. If I get some time I might look at installing discord to see if it works at all but I don't know how to test discord itself.
28
29 Mark: please don't bother. To test discord, one needs someone else on
30 "the other side". I tested with the help of co-workers and it didn't
31 work. And the problem lies on the linux side.
32 I'm trying the next step: using zoom. It's what people @work use and
33 they say it works on linux (but I still don't know if it requires
34 pulseaudio :/ ). I've been avoiding it due to its security history,
35 but I think I can work my way around that.
36 >
37 Thanks
38
39 Jorge