From: Kurt Guenther <kurtg@××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] problem with raid1: error while booting
Date: Tue, 12 Jul 2005 15:03:21
1 I did a similar setup, but I used Linux raid-1 rather then the software
2 raid.
3
4 If I remember right, I tried the software raid, but I think you made it
5 further then I did. I couldn't get the software raid working under the
6 live CD.
7
8 Sorry, no help other then to recommend Linux raid instead of the
9 software raid. Usually the performance is better (from what I hear)
10 anyways.
11
12 --Kurt
16 Jarry wrote:
17
18 > Hi,
19 >
20 > I'm trying to install gentoo on a small server in full sw-raid1 setup,
21 > using info in http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/gentoo-x86-tipsntricks.xml
22 >
23 > I have a similar setup with /boot / and swap on md. After creating md's
24 > I continued with installation using info in
25 > http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/2005.0/index.xml
26 >
27 > I recompilled kernel with md-support (no modules), installed boot-loader
28 > (lilo, on /dev/md0), created /etc/fstab, emerged mdadm, etc, etc...
29 > Everything was OK until 10.d: Rebooting the System
30 >
31 > When booting into new system (this time from disks, not from
32 > installation cd), I got following messages:
33 > ---------------------------------------------------------------------
34 > ... <up to here everything normal, all md's correctly autodetected>...
35 >
36 > * mounting sysfs at sys ...
37 > can't create lock file /etc/mtab1008: Read only file-system
38 > (use -n flag to override) [!!]
39 >
40 > ...<again everything normal up to>...
41 >
42 > * checking root filesystem
43 > ext2fs_check_if_mount: No such file or directory while determining
44 > whether /dev/md1 is mounted
45 > fsck.ext3: No such file or directory while trying to open /dev/md1
46 > /dev/md1:
47 > The superblock could not be read or does not describe a correct ext2
48 > filesystem. If the device is valid and it really contain an ext2
49 > filesystem (and not swap or ufs or something else), then the superblock
50 > is corrupt, and you might try running e2fsck with an alternate
51 > superblock: e2fsck -b 8193 <device>
52 >
53 > * Filesystem could not be fixed :-( [!!]
54 >
55 > Give root-password for maintenance
56 > (or type Control-D for normal startup):
57 > ---------------------------------------------------------------------
58 >
59 > Then I logged as root and tried that "e2fsck -b 8193 /dev/md1" with
60 > the same error. Rebooting did not change anything...
61 >
62 > BTW, I repeated the whole installation 3 times, even with different
63 > pair of disks (I thought there is some hw-error), but no difference...
64 > What now? Could someone tell me where the problem is?
65 >
66 > Thanks,
67 > Jarry
71 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list