From: Jarry <jarry@×××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] problem with raid1: error while booting
Date: Tue, 12 Jul 2005 07:32:42
1 Hi,
2
3 I'm trying to install gentoo on a small server in full sw-raid1 setup,
4 using info in http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/gentoo-x86-tipsntricks.xml
5
6 I have a similar setup with /boot / and swap on md. After creating md's
7 I continued with installation using info in
8 http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/2005.0/index.xml
9
10 I recompilled kernel with md-support (no modules), installed boot-loader
11 (lilo, on /dev/md0), created /etc/fstab, emerged mdadm, etc, etc...
12 Everything was OK until 10.d: Rebooting the System
13
14 When booting into new system (this time from disks, not from
15 installation cd), I got following messages:
16 ---------------------------------------------------------------------
17 ... <up to here everything normal, all md's correctly autodetected>...
18
19 * mounting sysfs at sys ...
20 can't create lock file /etc/mtab1008: Read only file-system
21 (use -n flag to override) [!!]
22
23 ...<again everything normal up to>...
24
25 * checking root filesystem
26 ext2fs_check_if_mount: No such file or directory while determining
27 whether /dev/md1 is mounted
28 fsck.ext3: No such file or directory while trying to open /dev/md1
29 /dev/md1:
30 The superblock could not be read or does not describe a correct ext2
31 filesystem. If the device is valid and it really contain an ext2
32 filesystem (and not swap or ufs or something else), then the superblock
33 is corrupt, and you might try running e2fsck with an alternate
34 superblock: e2fsck -b 8193 <device>
35
36 * Filesystem could not be fixed :-( [!!]
37
38 Give root-password for maintenance
39 (or type Control-D for normal startup):
40 ---------------------------------------------------------------------
41
42 Then I logged as root and tried that "e2fsck -b 8193 /dev/md1" with
43 the same error. Rebooting did not change anything...
44
45 BTW, I repeated the whole installation 3 times, even with different
46 pair of disks (I thought there is some hw-error), but no difference...
47 What now? Could someone tell me where the problem is?
48
49 Thanks,
50 Jarry
51 --