From: Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] {OT} Will ARM take over the world?
Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2012 13:47:18
1 On Sat, Dec 08, 2012 at 10:51:15PM -0500, Michael Mol wrote
2
3 > It's looking promising. Not that I have a horse in the race, but
4 > I very much like ARM's low power consumption.
5
6 An update to my earlier response. A slasdot article at
7 http://slashdot.org/topic/datacenter/intel-launches-centerton-to-take-on-arm/
8
9 > As expected, Intel launched its Atom S1200 System-on-a-Chip (SoC) Dec.
10 > 11. Intel hopes that the 6-watt architecture-developed under the
11 > codename "Centerton"-will allow it to push back against the emerging
12 > ARM microserver market.
13 >
14 > The Atom S1200 is a dual-core 64-bit chip. It's been optimized
15 > for servers and the data center, with features including ECC,
16 > virtualization, and hyperthreading (the lattermost is capable of
17 > delivering four threads per chip). The eight lanes of PCI Express
18 > 2.0, along with a memory controller supporting up to 8 GBytes of
19 > DDR3 memory, help make the S1200 a true System-on-a-Chip.
20
21 And the usual discussions/flamewrs are at...
22 http://hardware.slashdot.org/story/12/12/12/1712200/intel-announces-atom-s1200-soc-for-high-density-servers
25 Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
26 I don't run "desktop environments"; I run useful applications