From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Good/better/best filesystem for large, static video library?
Date: Tue, 25 Dec 2012 17:17:38
1 Florian Philipp wrote:
2 > Am 25.12.2012 16:41, schrieb Mark Knecht:
3 >> Hi,
4 >> Merry Christmas to all.
5 >>
6 >> Upgrading an external USB2 drive at home this Christmas morning to
7 >> 1TB for more video storage space. One large partition, non-raid, files
8 >> are around 1GB. The drive holds only static video files that get
9 >> written once and don't change or get erased. No MythTV stuff or
10 >> anything like that.
11 >>
12 >> This disk reside on my main desktop machine and gets backed up
13 >> every couple of days to another USB2 drive (FAT formatted
14 >> unfortunately) which attaches to the TV.
15 >>
16 >> With the previous local drive I used ext3 and have had no problems.
17 >> I'm just wondering if there's a better choice & why.
18 >>
19 >> Cheers,
20 >> Mark
21 >>
22 > Ext4 offers better performance for large files. This is especially
23 > notable when you remove them but other operations are faster, too. XFS
24 > would be the traditional large-file choice but since the arrival of
25 > Ext4, I don't see a point in putting up with its quirks anymore.
26 >
27 > Regards,
28 > Florian Philipp
32 For those who keep up with my adventures, I use ext4 for my home
33 directory which has a LOT of videos. Some videos are small and some are
34 large but I can say this, it is really fast. No fragmentation either.
35
36 I also use ext4 for my backup drive. I accidentally deleted some stuff
37 one day and I can say this, it is VERY fast. I'm just glad it was only
38 a backup.
39
40 I would second the idea for ext4. It works great for me.
41
42 Dale
43
47 I am only responsible for what I said ... Not for what you understood or how you interpreted my words!