From: Florian Philipp <lists@×××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Good/better/best filesystem for large, static video library?
Date: Tue, 25 Dec 2012 16:49:59
1 Am 25.12.2012 16:41, schrieb Mark Knecht:
2 > Hi,
3 > Merry Christmas to all.
4 >
5 > Upgrading an external USB2 drive at home this Christmas morning to
6 > 1TB for more video storage space. One large partition, non-raid, files
7 > are around 1GB. The drive holds only static video files that get
8 > written once and don't change or get erased. No MythTV stuff or
9 > anything like that.
10 >
11 > This disk reside on my main desktop machine and gets backed up
12 > every couple of days to another USB2 drive (FAT formatted
13 > unfortunately) which attaches to the TV.
14 >
15 > With the previous local drive I used ext3 and have had no problems.
16 > I'm just wondering if there's a better choice & why.
17 >
18 > Cheers,
19 > Mark
22 Ext4 offers better performance for large files. This is especially
23 notable when you remove them but other operations are faster, too. XFS
24 would be the traditional large-file choice but since the arrival of
25 Ext4, I don't see a point in putting up with its quirks anymore.
26
27 Regards,
28 Florian Philipp