From: Gregory Shearman <zekeyg@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: [drm] loading RV710 Microcode fails
Date: Wed, 09 Feb 2011 00:41:50
1 In linux.gentoo.user, you wrote:
2 > Gregory Shearman <zekeyg <at> gmail.com> writes:
5 >> Are you using kernel modesetting? If you are then you have to get your
6 >> microcode built into the kernel.
7 >
8 > Not sure, can you be more specific on "modesetting" as
9 > grepping the /usr/src/linux/.config does not find anything,
10 > so I'm not exactly sure what "modesetting" refers to....
11
12 I run an ATI HD5660 graphics card and use the open source Radeon driver
13 found in the kernel. When I select this driver, there's a second option
14 about allowing kernel modesetting by default. I've found that 3D
15 graphics and even the Xserver doesn't run on the 2.6.36 kernel unless
16 Kernel Modesetting is selected. This driver requires microcode to be
17 installed (emerge radeon-ucode). Now, I don't run an initramfs and
18 because kernel modesetting requires that the kernel handle the
19 framebuffer it loads the graphics driver before it has accessed any of
20 the system's hard drives. This means that for the kernel to find the
21 microcode it must be included when the kernel is compiled.
22
23 I can't help you further as I'm not sure what graphics card you run, nor
24 whether or not you're using the proprietary driver nor have you provided
25 the context for the error message provided in the subject.
28 > Nothing undeer the "Generic Driver section of the kernels
29 > I have been using has changed. The kernel worked before
30 > I began following web pages and notes from this list
31 > on removing hald and the hal flag from the system. I did
32 > rebuild the kernel-2.6.36-gentoo-r5 after these
33 > hal purge exercises began.....
34
35 I don't think HAL is your problem. Your kernel cannot find the microcode
36 for your graphics card. See above.
37
38 >> You need CONFIG_EXTRA_FIRMWARE, and provide the filenames of the
39 >> firmware you require (in the form of a space delimited string) to run
40 >> your graphics card.
41 >
42 > Here are the setting from .config, as they always have
43 > been: (I'd prefer not to use modsetting, unless provided
44 > a GOOD reason to use it?)
47 > CONFIG_UEVENT_HELPER_PATH="/sbin/hotplug"
48 > # CONFIG_DEVTMPFS is not set
49 > CONFIG_STANDALONE=y
50 > CONFIG_PREVENT_FIRMWARE_BUILD=y
51 > CONFIG_FW_LOADER=y
52 > CONFIG_FIRMWARE_IN_KERNEL=y
53 > CONFIG_EXTRA_FIRMWARE=""
54
55 See CONFIG_EXTRA_FIRMWARE=""?
56
57 This needs to be where you place your filenames for your kernel
58 microcode required by your graphics card.
59
60 You should also have:
61
62 CONFIG_EXTRA_FIRMWARE_DIR=""
63
64 This should show the kernel the directory where your firmware is stored.
65 Mine is in /lib/firmware.
68 Regards,
69 Gregory.