From: James <wireless@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: [drm] loading RV710 Microcode fails
Date: Wed, 09 Feb 2011 01:37:36
1 Gregory Shearman <zekeyg <at> gmail.com> writes:
4 > I run an ATI HD5660 graphics card and use the open source Radeon driver
5 > found in the kernel. When I select this driver, there's a second option
6 > about allowing kernel modesetting by default. I've found that 3D
7 > graphics and even the Xserver doesn't run on the 2.6.36 kernel unless
8 > Kernel Modesetting is selected. This driver requires microcode to be
9 > installed (emerge radeon-ucode). Now, I don't run an initramfs and
10 > because kernel modesetting requires that the kernel handle the
11 > framebuffer it loads the graphics driver before it has accessed any of
12 > the system's hard drives. This means that for the kernel to find the
13 > microcode it must be included when the kernel is compiled.
16 OK, I went and did a bunch of reading..... I do not use initramfs.
17 I emerge'd radeon-ucode
20 > I can't help you further as I'm not sure what graphics card you run, nor
21 > whether or not you're using the proprietary driver nor have you provided
22 > the context for the error message provided in the subject.
23
24 card:
25 02:00.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc RV710 [Radeon HD 4350]
26 I use ati-drivers-10.11
29 > See CONFIG_EXTRA_FIRMWARE=""?
30
31 now says:
32 CONFIG_PREVENT_FIRMWARE_BUILD=y
33 CONFIG_FW_LOADER=y
34 CONFIG_FIRMWARE_IN_KERNEL=y
35
36 and
37 CONFIG_EXTRA_FIRMWARE="/lib/firmware"
38
39 Then I copied all file with*710* matching from
40 /usr/src/linux/firmware/radeon/*710* to /lib/firemware
41
42 OK?
45 > This needs to be where you place your filenames for your kernel
46 > microcode required by your graphics card.
47 >
48 > You should also have:
49 >
50 > CONFIG_EXTRA_FIRMWARE_DIR=""
51 CONFIG_EXTRA_FIRMWARE_DIR="firmware"
52
53 ? not sure on this
54
55 I then emerged radeon-ucode-20101122
56 (but I'm using ati-drivers) ????
57 After the emerge I get:
58
59 * Your kernel has radeon DRM built-in but not the IRQ microcode.
60 * For kernel modesetting to work, please set in kernel config
61 * CONFIG_FIRMWARE_IN_KERNEL=y
62 * CONFIG_EXTRA_FIRMWARE_DIR="/lib/firmware"
63 * CONFIG_EXTRA_FIRMWARE="radeon/CEDAR_me.bin radeon/CEDAR_pfp.bin
64 radeon/CEDAR_rlc.bin radeon/CYPRESS_me.bin radeon/CYPRESS_pfp.bin
65 radeon/CYPRESS_rlc.bin radeon/JUNIPER_me.bin radeon/JUNIPER_pfp.bin
66 radeon/JUNIPER_rlc.bin radeon/R600_rlc.bin radeon/R700_rlc.bin
67 radeon/PALM_me.bin radeon/PALM_pfp.bin radeon/REDWOOD_me.bin
68 radeon/REDWOOD_pfp.bin radeon/REDWOOD_rlc.bin radeon/SUMO_rlc.bin"
69 * You may skip microcode files for which no hardware is installed.
70
71 Those look to complete with the ati-driver driver?
72
73 > This should show the kernel the directory where your firmware is stored.
74 > Mine is in /lib/firmware.
77 YEP, I'm sure as hell confused now.....
78
79 I know I need kms with ati-drives, but all of the web pages
80 just seem to confuse me. Maybe 5-15 steps on kms with ati-drivers
81 is what I need?
84 What I find seems to confuse me more that help.....
88 James