From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Random reboots. Where to start?
Date: Sat, 26 Feb 2011 00:14:56
1 Grant Edwards wrote:
2 > On 2011-02-25, Dale<rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
5 >> Well, I think my machine is possessed or something. I'm getting random
6 >> reboots here. When it does this, it is like hitting the reset button.
7 >> It is sitting on the grub screen when it does this. I noticed the first
8 >> time the other day and this was before adding the extra memory. I
9 >> seemed to be stable at 4Gbs but I seem to be rebooting at random. I ran
10 >> memtest yesterday, it checked fine.
11 >>
12 > By "memtest" I assume mean memtest86?
13 >
14 > In my experience, you should let it run multiple passes (I'd recommend
15 > at least 4 or 4 -- I would imagine it'll take a couple days). I've
16 > seen situations where it was OK on the initial pass, and then failed
17 > later.
18 >
19 > The other likely suspect is probably the power supply.
23 Correct. To sort of help rule out the OS on the hard drive, I ran
24 memtest from a USB stick. It made it through 2 full passes with no
25 errors. Since this is my main rig, I can't go to long without it. I
26 get to shaking from withdrawal and such as that. :-(
27
28 I got a good power supply but it could still be that. Even the best and
29 most expensive break from time to time. I think I could swap mine out
30 from my old rig if needed. This new rig doesn't pull near as much as my
31 old one.
32
33 Thanks.
34