From: Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Random reboots. Where to start?
Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2011 18:04:38
1 On 2011-02-25, Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
2
3 > Well, I think my machine is possessed or something. I'm getting random
4 > reboots here. When it does this, it is like hitting the reset button.
5 > It is sitting on the grub screen when it does this. I noticed the first
6 > time the other day and this was before adding the extra memory. I
7 > seemed to be stable at 4Gbs but I seem to be rebooting at random. I ran
8 > memtest yesterday, it checked fine.
9
10 By "memtest" I assume mean memtest86?
11
12 In my experience, you should let it run multiple passes (I'd recommend
13 at least 4 or 4 -- I would imagine it'll take a couple days). I've
14 seen situations where it was OK on the initial pass, and then failed
15 later.
16
17 The other likely suspect is probably the power supply.
20 Grant Edwards grant.b.edwards Yow! I have a TINY BOWL in
21 at my HEAD
22 gmail.com