From: Alex Schuster <wonko@×××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Can't boot into X
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 2010 16:55:11
1 Colleen Beamer writes:
2
3 > First, I looked in the archives and didn't find anything relevant -
4 > could be my stupidity, but I did try!
5
6 Fine :)
9 > From my kdm log the last few lines are as follows:
10 >
11 > (EE) Failed to load module "dri" (module does not exist, 0)
12 > (EE) Failed to load module "dri2" (module does not exist, 0)
13
14 I have this too, when using ati-drivers. I think the nvidia-drivers also
15 have their own dri, so this is okay.
16
17 > /usr/lib/kde4/libexec/kdm_greet: error while loading shared libraries:
18 > libpng12.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or
19 > directory
20 [...]
21 > Regarding libpng - on my first upgrade 6 days ago, I removed libpng
22 > prior to doing the update because the updated libpng file was being
23 > blocked by the existing one. I don't know if this makes a difference.
24
25 This is the problem. /usr/lib/kde4/libexec/kdm_greet links to
26 libpng12.so.0, which you removed. It needs to be rebuilt so it links
27 against libpng14.so.0. A simple emerge -1 kde-base/kdm should solve this.
28 Use ldd /usr/lib/kde4/libexec/kdm_greet to verify this, there should be no
29 'not found' entries.
30
31 Better use revdep-rebuild, there might be many other things that are still
32 linked to the old libpng.
33
34 You could also try to emerge media-libs/libpng:1.2, this will install the
35 old libpng in parallel. At least I do have both on my system, but my kdm
36 inks to 1.4. If the revdep-rebuild list is very long, maybe you can get a
37 working system faster this way.
38
39 Wonko