From: Colleen Beamer <colleen.beamer@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-user] Can't boot into X
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 2010 15:59:19
1 First, I looked in the archives and didn't find anything relevant - could be
2 my stupidity, but I did try!
3
4 About 6 days ago, I updated my system and since then, I can't boot into X.
5 My nvidia driver loads okay and it looks like it is going to start X, but
6 then reverts to the command line. I've been sick and haven't really been
7 able to follow this up.
8
9 Also note that I can't provide any output because I am, obviously, not on my
10 computer. Details are as follows:
11
12 From my kdm log the last few lines are as follows:
13
14 (EE) Failed to load module "dri" (module does not exist, 0)
15 (EE) Failed to load module "dri2" (module does not exist, 0)
16 /usr/lib/kde4/libexec/kdm_greet: error while loading shared libraries:
17 libpng12.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
18
19 I don't have a dri USE flag in my make.conf file
20 The dri line in my xorg.conf file exists, but it is commented
21 I do not build dri into my kernel
22
23 Yesterday, I decided to try another update to see if there was an ebuild
24 that might have corrected whatever the problem was
25
26 On attempting to upgrade gtk+, it fails and I get told to run:
27 emerge --info =x11-libs/gtk+-2.18.9
28
29 When I do that, there is a USE line which includes dri and I'm not sure
30 where that is being pulled from unless it is global because as stated
31 previously, I don't have a dri USE flag in my make.conf or an active line in
32 my xorg.conf file.
33
34 Regarding libpng - on my first upgrade 6 days ago, I removed libpng prior to
35 doing the update because the updated libpng file was being blocked by the
36 existing one. I don't know if this makes a difference.
37
38 Any advice on how to fix this?
39
40 Regards,