From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: [ANNOUNCE] I like systemd now :)
Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2012 12:30:19
1 On Mon, 12 Nov 2012 05:59:39 -0600, Bruce Hill wrote:
2
3 > On Mon, Nov 12, 2012 at 09:37:03AM +0000, Neil Bothwick wrote:
4 > > Unfortunately, there are times when it is necessary to point out how
5 > > bad an idea is in order to help someone. Recent example: the
6 > > suggestion to use dd to copy one drive to another with a different
7 > > block size. While this may have worked for the person suggesting it,
8 > > it is a bad idea in general and refraining from stating that could
9 > > have resulted n problems for someone following that advice.
10 >
11 > Might I suggest that it is more appropriate, and more likely to be
12 > received, if it is 'pointed out' with logic, technical explanation, and
13 > courtesy.
14
15 I didn't say otherwise. However, clarity is also important, if an idea is
16 considered poorly conceived, dangerous or simply stupid, there is nothing
17 wrong with stating that. Condemning the idea is not the same as condemning
18 the man, even though there is always an implication that someone
19 proposing a poor idea is in some way at fault, even if that fault is no
20 more than rushing to try to help without considering the possibilities.
21
22 > > Surely stating the merits or otherwise of an idea is a core element of
23 > > discussion, and discussion is what this list is about.
24 >
25 > Which can (and should) be done well without sarcasm and personal attack.
26
27 Agreed absolutely. There are times when a discussion moves beyond the
28 facts into personal territory, as happened in this thread. In such a
29 case you should consider the track record of the person making the
30 comments. Volker is known to to be somewhat abrupt, although there
31 doesn't appear to be any malice, Alan has a somewhat sarcastic streak.
32 When the comments come from an unknown poster (even one with no
33 recognisable name) they can provoke a stronger, less considered reaction,
34 precisely because there is no history.
35
36 > > On the topic of swearing, some consider it "bad language", as you do,
37 > > and I respect that view. Others consider it a means of expression
38 > > (others seem to use it for punctuation, but no one is defending
39 > > that). There are times that some words can add emotion or emphasis to
40 > > a statement, especially when used rarely, but on a list like this
41 > > there is generally little or no need for it. However, not all users
42 > > of this list are native-English speakers and other cultures see use
43 > > of such language different - one only has to look at the comments
44 > > made on the podium of the Abu Dhabi F1 Grand Prix, made by
45 > > professional drivers who are paid not to offend.
46 >
47 > God, whom you mention in your sig, has written His law on the heart of
48 > every one, so that "they are without excuse". Having visited 10
49 > countries, and lived in China for almost 9 years, my experience has
50 > been that even most heathen in remote villages understand propriety.
51
52 Maybe, but propriety is a feature of a culture and this list has users
53 from many cultures. There may even be some offended by your trying to
54 enforce your God's edicts n their behaviour.
55
56 This is a multicultural list, we should live and let live. If someone's
57 attitude or words offend you, you are free to ignore them, but they are
58 just as free to continue acting as they do. The Internet is
59 self-regulating and that applies to mailing lists too. This is primarily
60 a help forum, those with attitude may find that when they need help, they
61 have been killfiled by the very people that can help them.
62
63 > This person doing post-grad work in a Mexican universtiy well
64 > understands. But even if you doubt that, just reference his remark: "I
65 > hope it doesn't offend anyone. That was not (nor is) the intention."
66 > Seems he didn't *really* mean that, and will continue to offend others.
67
68 I agree, although that is more to do with attitude than language, it's
69 like people who apologise before doing something wrong. What they are
70 really saying it "I know what I am about to do it wrong, but I'm going to
71 do it anyway". Not that I was at all bothered by the client that phoned
72 me again yesterday with "sorry to ring you no a Sunday, but..." followed
73 by a trivial question that could have waited until today, or even be put
74 in an email.
75
76 Please don't confuse choice of vocabulary with courtesy. I use what you
77 consider bad language at times, when it fulfils two criteria.
78
79 1) I feel it makes my statement more effective
80 2) I know it won't offend the person(s) I am speaking to
81
82 However, those are my values, I don't try to force them on others. People
83 who don't like the way I act are as free t ignore me as I them. Making a
84 big thing about it is ultimately pointless.
88 Neil Bothwick
89
90 Your lack of organisation does not represent an
91 emergency in my world.