From: gottlieb@×××.edu
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] gru2-mkconfig tries to read the extended partition ??
Date: Thu, 23 Jul 2015 15:16:16
1 On Thu, Jul 23 2015, Paul Tobias wrote:
2
3 > On 23 Jul 2015 02:31, <gottlieb@×××.edu> wrote:
4 >>
5 >> My new installation is running well, in particular it boots fine.
6 >> However the grub2-mkconfig seems odd.
7 >>
8 >> It finds linux (all kernels) and the stub windows partition. But then I
9 >> get messages that both ext4-fs and FAT-fs have trouble with /dev/sda4,
10 >> which is the extended partition. Perhaps the fact that the windows
11 >> partitions sda[23] don't really have windows on them yet is part of the
12 >> answer??
13 >>
14 >> Has anyone else seen something like this?
15 >>
16 >> thanks,
17 >> allan
18 >
19 > Maybe there was another partition on the disk around that location before
20 > and the file system signature is still lurking around? Run `wipefs
21 > /dev/sda4`, that will show you which signatures are there.
22
23 Wow what a command name! When I first read your msg I had a double
24 take, since wiping (i.e., erasing) /dev/sda4 would erase my entire linux
25 installation. Reading the man page helped, but I would like one more
26 piece of assurance. Am I correct in believing/hoping that when the man
27 page says
28
29 When used without options -a or -o, it lists all visible filesystems
30 and the offsets of their basic signatures.
31
32 it means
33
34 When used without options -a or -o, it lists all visible filesystems
35 and the offsets of their basic signatures *and erases nothing*.
36
37 I really don't want to damage any "signature" on the extended partition
38 that is needed to access the "sub-partitions" it contains. As I said
39 my newly installed gentoo resides on those sub-partitions.
40
41 thanks.
42 allan