From: Richard Fish <bigfish@××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Having trouble installing grub on second disk
Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2005 21:22:21
1 michael@×××××××××××××.com wrote:
5 > On Tue, 26 Jul 2005, Richard Fish wrote:
6 >
7 >> michael@×××××××××××××.com wrote:
8 >>
9 >>> I test by rebooting and entering my bios settings, and then i set the
10 >>> boot device to hd1 instead of hd0. Save and exit, and grub tells me
11 >>> "Error 15: File not found".
14 >> For grub, the (hd0) and (hd1) devices are the ordered in the same
15 >> order that the BIOS puts them in, so if you are going to switch them
16 >> around in the BIOS, you should set the entries in the grub.conf to
17 >> (hd0,0) instead of (hd1,0). In otherwords, (hd0) is always "the disk
18 >> currently being booted from".
19 >>
20 >> You can test this by editing the lines when grub comes up, and change
21 >> kernel to be:
22 >>
23 >> kernel (hd0,0)/boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/hdb1
24 >>
25 >> -Richard
28 > AHA! That sure sounds like my problem. I'll test this tonight.
29 >
30 > So the mapping is NOT hard-coded:
31 > hd0 = primary master
32 > hd1 = primary slave
33 > hd2 = secondary master
34 > hd3 = secondary slave
35 > but rather is the boot order I select?
38 That is true, well, sort of. It is defined as "BIOS order", which
39 generally means that the disk being booted from is the first BIOS disk.
40 The other disks could be in the same order that you specified for boot,
41 or in the order they were detected.
42
43 In case you still have some trouble, one other command that might be
44 useful from the grub prompt is:
45
46 find /boot/vmlinuz
47
48 That will cause grub to search all of the primary partitions on all of
49 the disks for the specified file, and output where it is found.
50
51 -Richard
54 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list