From: michael@×××××××××××××.com
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Having trouble installing grub on second disk
Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2005 21:12:41
1 On Tue, 26 Jul 2005, Richard Fish wrote:
2
3 > michael@×××××××××××××.com wrote:
4 >
5 >> I test by rebooting and entering my bios settings, and then i set the
6 >> boot device to hd1 instead of hd0. Save and exit, and grub tells me
7 >> "Error 15: File not found".
8 >
9 > For grub, the (hd0) and (hd1) devices are the ordered in the same order that
10 > the BIOS puts them in, so if you are going to switch them around in the BIOS,
11 > you should set the entries in the grub.conf to (hd0,0) instead of (hd1,0).
12 > In otherwords, (hd0) is always "the disk currently being booted from".
13 >
14 > You can test this by editing the lines when grub comes up, and change kernel
15 > to be:
16 >
17 > kernel (hd0,0)/boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/hdb1
18 >
19 > -Richard
20
21 AHA! That sure sounds like my problem. I'll test this tonight.
22
23 So the mapping is NOT hard-coded:
24 hd0 = primary master
25 hd1 = primary slave
26 hd2 = secondary master
27 hd3 = secondary slave
28 but rather is the boot order I select?
29
30 Thank you so much for the rapid reply,
31 Michael
32 --
33 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list