From: Stroller <stroller@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Reaching my network over the internet
Date: Thu, 29 Dec 2005 22:46:55
1 On 29 Dec 2005, at 22:30, Grant wrote:
2 >>
3 >> How is your network connected to the internet?
4 >>
5 >> http://www.google.com/search?ie=utf8&oe=utf8&q=port+forwarding
6 >>
7 >> The first link looks fairly useful.
8 >>
9 >> Stroller.
10 >
11 > That helped a lot. I have a high-number port on the router forwarding
12 > to one of my systems. How can I access the forwarded-to service from
13 > a random point on the Internet? I need something static to represent
14 > my router on the Internet. I've tried using the IP address that is
15 > used for me externally when I'm browsing but it doesn't work. I use
16 > cable internet service and I think that IP address is used for many
17 > different customers.
18
19 I have heard of ISPs NATting their customers, but I think it would be
20 pretty unusual these days. Does the high-port forwad to port 22 on
21 your PC? Or is the PC listening for ssh? See /etc/ssh/sshd_config for
22 that one.
23
24 How are you testing ssh'ing to your external IP address? Doing so
25 from inside the LAN won't work - you're better port-scanning yourself
26 by visiting Shields Up! at http://grc.com
27
28 You can get a hostname which will resolve to your dynamic IP at
29 http://dyndns.com - there are some free utilities which you can run
30 to do the updating.
31
32 Stroller.