From: Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Reaching my network over the internet
Date: Thu, 29 Dec 2005 23:23:30
1 > >> How is your network connected to the internet?
2 > >>
3 > >> http://www.google.com/search?ie=utf8&oe=utf8&q=port+forwarding
4 > >>
5 > >> The first link looks fairly useful.
6 > >>
7 > >> Stroller.
8 > >
9 > > That helped a lot. I have a high-number port on the router forwarding
10 > > to one of my systems. How can I access the forwarded-to service from
11 > > a random point on the Internet? I need something static to represent
12 > > my router on the Internet. I've tried using the IP address that is
13 > > used for me externally when I'm browsing but it doesn't work. I use
14 > > cable internet service and I think that IP address is used for many
15 > > different customers.
16 >
17 > I have heard of ISPs NATting their customers, but I think it would be
18 > pretty unusual these days. Does the high-port forwad to port 22 on
19 > your PC? Or is the PC listening for ssh? See /etc/ssh/sshd_config for
20 > that one.
21 >
22 > How are you testing ssh'ing to your external IP address? Doing so
23 > from inside the LAN won't work - you're better port-scanning yourself
24 > by visiting Shields Up! at http://grc.com
25 >
26 > You can get a hostname which will resolve to your dynamic IP at
27 > http://dyndns.com - there are some free utilities which you can run
28 > to do the updating.
29 >
30 > Stroller.
31
32 Also, what should I do about securing ssh? I'm using a high port
33 number. Is there other special configuration I should be using? I'm
34 using the standard sshd_config except for the high port number
35 specification.
36
37 - Grant
40 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list