From: n952162 <n952162@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] update fails, but I don't see why [PROGRESS]
Date: Wed, 30 Dec 2020 12:01:21
1 On 12/30/20 9:35 AM, Arve Barsnes wrote:
2 > On Wed, 30 Dec 2020 at 08:46, n952162 <n952162@×××.de> wrote:
3 >> Well, yes, the current version, indeed requires python3_8. The version
4 >> that was installed on my system, however, to be updated, listed
5 >> python3_7 in the PYTHON_TARGETS section. That was the only difference
6 >> between the two packages in the collision. It apparently disqualified
7 >> the update with a slot conflict.
8 > I tried walking you through the massive output from portage on one of
9 > these conflicts last week, was it helpful? The point either way, was
10 > that the slot conflict is not setuptools itself, but further down the
11 > dependency chain, where some package is unable to update to python
12 > 3.8, and it's dragging its dependencies back with it.
13 >
14 > Regards,
15 > Arve
18 I spent hours studying your analysis, and then I thought it was a simple
19 transitive-closure problem.  I wrote a script that would take an emerge
20 log  and turn it into vectors and do a TC on those, but it didn't work.
21 For one thing, I got tangled up in the issue of whether the "scheduled
22 for merge" or the "installed" section was relevant.  Then I noticed that
23 in most (but not all) cases, the problem centered around a single
24 package that had multiple, slightly different (mostly in the
25 PYTHON_TARGETS variable) specs. At first, I thought that there was
26 always just one such conflict package, all the other having a single new
27 depender, rather than multiple.  But I think now, that was a red herring.
28
29 In your analysis, I didn't see that you made a distinction between
30 "scheduled for emerge" and "installed" dependers.  When using all
31 potential dependers, I just wasn't able to following any chain to a
32 useful conclusion.  Perhaps it's there and just requires more thought.
33
34 Anyway, my blanket --depclean kind of put a stop to that direction.