From: Tanstaafl <tanstaafl@×××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] systemd and kernel developers cooperating to turn it into a global cgroup manager?
Date: Sun, 20 Oct 2013 14:02:04
1 On 2013-10-20 9:02 AM, Samuli Suominen <ssuominen@g.o> wrote:
2 > On 20/10/13 13:47, Daniel Campbell wrote:
3 >> Like I mentioned in a prior e-mail, the change didn't affect me when it
4 >> was pushed, and doesn't affect me now. I did recently have to reinstall
5 >> Gentoo, however (note, going from testing to stable isn't fun ;p), and
6 >> noticed it when I found Gentoo ships with systemd-udev instead of eudev.
7
8 > Yep, no plans on changing the default sys-fs/udev to anything else, no
9 > reason to.
10
11 To be clear - you are saying that the new default init system for a new
12 gentoo install is systemd?
13
14 When did this happen? I thought that OpenRC was still the default?
15
16 >> Perhaps the next time I need to install Gentoo, I'll find a way to get
17 >> eudev on there before even the first proper boot and avoid the problem
18 >> altogether.
19
20 > It's true that sys-fs/eudev restored the *broken* rule_generator from
21 > old sys-fs/udev, you can get it by USE="rule-generator".
22 > But it's lot saner to keep using sys-fs/udev and just write custom rules
23 > to rename interfaces based on MACs to like lan*, internet*
24 > so all in all, currently, using sys-fs/eudev doesn't make sense unless
25 > you are experimenting/developing for it.
26
27 The problem with this is, what happens if (or maybe *when*?) the systemd
28 maintainers make a change that then breaks udev for anything but systemd?