From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] How can I reset mount-count?
Date: Tue, 01 Feb 2011 21:01:43
1 Apparently, though unproven, at 22:05 on Tuesday 01 February 2011, Jarry did
2 opine thusly:
3
4 > Hi,
5 > I use one drive just for backup, co I mount/unmount it only when
6 > I need it (quite frequently). Since some time I started getting
7 > these messages in /var/log/kernel.log:
8 >
9 > kernel: kjournald starting. Commit interval 5 seconds
10 > kernel: EXT3-fs warning: maximal mount count reached, running e2fsck is
11 > recommended
12 > kernel: EXT3 FS on sda1, internal journal
13 > kernel: EXT3-fs: mounted filesystem with ordered data mode.
14 >
15 > So I unmounted /dev/sda1 and checked partition as recommended:
16 > e2fsck -f /dev/sda1
17 >
18 > All tests passed, no errors reported, output seems normal.
19 > But when I mount it, I get the above mentioned message again.
20 > Apparently, mount-counter has not been reset. So how can I
21 > reset it?
22 >
23 > I think, that message indicate that fsck will check that
24 > partition while doing next backup. I would like to avoid
25 > it, as it is rather large partition (2TB) with a lot of
26 > files, and fsck takes quite long time...
27
28 tune2fs -C
29
30 The command you used just forces a proper check regardless of what the count
31 says. it doesn't actually affect the count.
34 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com