From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] open source monitoring on gentoo
Date: Mon, 27 Jun 2011 16:34:36
1 On Monday 27 Jun 2011 08:45:06 Stefan G. Weichinger wrote:
2 > thanks to all for your suggestion.
3 > Still not sure where to turn ...
4 >
5 > Stefan
6
7 We can't know which one may best match your needs/expectations/preferences.
8 You can spend some time looking at their documentation to get an understanding
9 of how difficult it may be to configure them and then play with their online
10 demos to experience the touch & feel of each.
11
12 Then install the one that best matches your requirements and if your don't
13 like it enough install the second best and so on. If you are prepared to get
14 your hands dirty you can somewhat customise the look and feel (e.g. using
15 CSS), but the monitoring engine is what will provide you with the necessary
16 functionality.
17
18 Personally, I ended up using Nagios because at the time it had a load of
19 plugins that others did not. Once I spent a lot of time installing graphing
20 engines and configuring it, I had invested too much time to ditch it and try
21 something different.
22
23 Thankfully, you can start afresh your quest and evaluate how each of these
24 tools meets your requirements.
25
26 HTH.
27 --