From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: Gentoo User <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Anyone switched to eudev yet?
Date: Wed, 26 Dec 2012 21:01:29
1 On Wed, Dec 26, 2012 at 12:34 PM, Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > Mark Knecht wrote:
3 >> One interesting small point I got out of the docs that Neil pointed me
4 >> toward: That since linux-2.6 we're all using an initramfs "The 2.6
5 >> kernel build process always creates a gzipped cpio format initramfs
6 >> archive and links it into the resulting kernel binary. By default,
7 >> this archive is empty (consuming 134 bytes on x86)." So it's a nit but
8 >> no one should be saying "I don't use an init thingy" but rather "My
9 >> init thingy is empty and has no jobs to do on my system". (Or at least
10 >> that's my understanding...) - Mark
13 > Hence it will not fail, right? Adding another point of failure is my
14 > problem with this. As I have said before, when I was using Mandriva,
15 > then Mandrake, the init thingy would fail on a regular basis. It is one
16 > reason I left Mandriva. I got tired of the breakage and Gentoo didn't
17 > need one. So, here I am, good or bad. ;-)
18 >
19 > Dale
22 Dale,
23 not enough info:
24
25 If the init thingy is empty and if your kernel boots then it did not fail.
26
27 If the init thingy is not empty and your kernel boots it did not fail.
28
29 If the init thingy is not empty and your kernel does not boot we
30 don't know what failed. Might be your init thingy, might be something
31 else.
32
33 I hope you understand I understand both your POV as well as your
34 frustration. Maybe the work I'm doing in my thread will allow both of
35 us to be more comfortable with init thingies. I'm going the opposite
36 direction as you. I don't need one (on most of my home machines) but
37 I'm going to add one on all my machines. It will become part of the
38 way I maintain them all and hopefully I'll get more comfortable with
39 the process.
40
41 Cheers,
42 Mark