From: "Canek Peláez Valdés" <caneko@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] genkernel assistance building initramfs
Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2012 14:52:20
1 On Tue, Apr 24, 2012 at 9:20 AM, Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > On Mon, Apr 23, 2012 at 7:43 PM, Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >>>>>> Michael Mol wrote:
4 >> To the OP.  I would use dracut.  I ran into trouble but I found out
5 >> later that a earlier attempt at a init thingy was causing the dracut
6 >> init thingy to mess up.  I strongly suspect that if I had known to get
7 >> rid of the previous attempt, it would have worked the first time.  My
8 >> previous attempt was the one that was built into the kernel itself.
9 >> Lets just say there was a huge fight and I missed it.  Grub was telling
10 >> one thing to load and the kernel was trying to load something else.  I'm
11 >> sure it was a nice fight.
12 >
13 > The principal reason I'm not using dracut:
14 >
15 > * sys-kernel/dracut
16 >     Available versions:  ~014-r2!t ~017-r1!t ~017-r2!t ~017-r3!t
17 > ~018!t {debug device-mapper dracut_modules_biosdevname
18 > dracut_modules_btrfs dracut_modules_caps dracut_modules_crypt
19 > dracut_modules_crypt-gpg dracut_modules_dmraid
20 > dracut_modules_dmsquash-live dracut_modules_gensplash
21 > dracut_modules_iscsi dracut_modules_livenet dracut_modules_lvm
22 > dracut_modules_mdraid dracut_modules_multipath dracut_modules_nbd
23 > dracut_modules_nfs dracut_modules_plymouth dracut_modules_ssh-client
24 > dracut_modules_syslog net selinux}
25 >     Homepage:            http://dracut.wiki.kernel.org
28 > None of the versions have been marked stable. Genkernel, on the other hand, has.
29
30 That makes almost no sense. You say that you are planning on using an
31 initramfs because "udev >= 181 will eventually hit stable". That for
32 sure will *not* happen *before* dracut hits stable.
33
34 I would try dracut. Besides, as I said in another similar thread, an
35 initramfs is one of the most secure things to prove: you add a new
36 entry in grub-legacy/GRUB2, and try to boot. Doesn't work? Get back to
37 your previous entry.
38
39 Dracut depends on udev-164; everything else on its depend list is
40 stable, I believe. Try it, and if doesn't work easily, go back to
41 genkernel.
42
43 Regards.
44 --