From: Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] genkernel assistance building initramfs
Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2012 15:15:31
1 On Tue, Apr 24, 2012 at 10:50 AM, Canek Peláez Valdés <caneko@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > On Tue, Apr 24, 2012 at 9:20 AM, Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >> On Mon, Apr 23, 2012 at 7:43 PM, Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
4 >>>>>>> Michael Mol wrote:
5 >>> To the OP.  I would use dracut.  I ran into trouble but I found out
6 >>> later that a earlier attempt at a init thingy was causing the dracut
7 >>> init thingy to mess up.  I strongly suspect that if I had known to get
8 >>> rid of the previous attempt, it would have worked the first time.  My
9 >>> previous attempt was the one that was built into the kernel itself.
10 >>> Lets just say there was a huge fight and I missed it.  Grub was telling
11 >>> one thing to load and the kernel was trying to load something else.  I'm
12 >>> sure it was a nice fight.
13 >>
14 >> The principal reason I'm not using dracut:
15 >>
16 >> * sys-kernel/dracut
17 >>     Available versions:  ~014-r2!t ~017-r1!t ~017-r2!t ~017-r3!t
18 >> ~018!t {debug device-mapper dracut_modules_biosdevname
19 >> dracut_modules_btrfs dracut_modules_caps dracut_modules_crypt
20 >> dracut_modules_crypt-gpg dracut_modules_dmraid
21 >> dracut_modules_dmsquash-live dracut_modules_gensplash
22 >> dracut_modules_iscsi dracut_modules_livenet dracut_modules_lvm
23 >> dracut_modules_mdraid dracut_modules_multipath dracut_modules_nbd
24 >> dracut_modules_nfs dracut_modules_plymouth dracut_modules_ssh-client
25 >> dracut_modules_syslog net selinux}
26 >>     Homepage:            http://dracut.wiki.kernel.org
29 >> None of the versions have been marked stable. Genkernel, on the other hand, has.
30 >
31 > That makes almost no sense. You say that you are planning on using an
32 > initramfs because "udev >= 181 will eventually hit stable". That for
33 > sure will *not* happen *before* dracut hits stable.
34 >
35 > I would try dracut. Besides, as I said in another similar thread, an
36 > initramfs is one of the most secure things to prove: you add a new
37 > entry in grub-legacy/GRUB2, and try to boot. Doesn't work? Get back to
38 > your previous entry.
39
40 When dracut hits stable, sure, I'll give it a shot.
41
42 In the mean time, I get enough headaches from running a mostly-stable
43 package set. I was once berated for mixing stable and unstable, and
44 then having the gall to file a bug report when stable emacs wouldn't
45 build with libpng15 prior to libpng's landing stable, so I try to keep
46 my usage of unstable packages to a minimum. I don't want to run a full
47 ~amd64 setup, because I don't want to deal with the headaches of being
48 a full beta tester.
49
50 Unless I have a strong and compelling reason to unmask a package and
51 risk having to unmask dependent versions for it, I won't. For the
52 moment, I don't.
55 > Dracut depends on udev-164; everything else on its depend list is
56 > stable, I believe. Try it, and if doesn't work easily, go back to
57 > genkernel.
58
59 It took me over a month before I found time to try genkernel. And that
60 only happened because I'm stuck at home trying to recover from a sinus
61 infection and fever.
64 :wq