From: John <john@×××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Black Screen of Death
Date: Thu, 15 Jan 2009 18:45:50
1 On Thu, 15 Jan 2009 15:38:57 +1030
2 Rick Harris <rickharris@×××××××××××××.org> wrote:
3
4 > On Thu, 15 Jan 2009 07:32:31 am John wrote:
5 > > Nothing in Xorg logs, system logs
6 > > Lockup is complete - machine is totally unresposive even to ssh/ping
7 > > x11-drivers/nvidia-drivers-177.82
8 > > Kernel version 2.6.27-gentoo-r7
9 > > Card is Geforce GO 6100.
10 > > PC is laptop and logout has been working, maybe a update has done
11 > > this and i have missed it.
12 > > Is this common?
13 > > Using syslog-ng, if you could advise on a config that may pick
14 > > something up in logs
15 >
16 > I had a similar problem on my HP Compaq laptop, but not limited to
17 > just logging out of an Xorg session, the hard freeze could occur at
18 > any time.
19 >
20 > The solution for me was to add 'noapic nolapic noirqdebug' to my
21 > kernel's boot parameters in grub.conf
22 > (see /usr/src/linux/Documentation/kernel- parameters.txt).
23 >
24 > How does this relate to the nvidia driver not working and Xorg's 'nv'
25 > driver working you might ask. The nvidia propietary driver
26 > claims/shares an IRQ, the 'nv' driver does not (AFAICT).
27 >
28 > Either the APIC on my laptop or Linux's implementation of using it is
29 > buggy, but the best result for me was to disable it using the above
30 > kernel parameters.
31 >
32 > Something to try anyway, hope it helps :)
35 > Cheers,
36 > Rick
40 Thanks guys for your suggestions.
41 I tried "noapic nolapic noirqdebug" on boot parameters but no change.
42 Also tried update xorg.conf but no use.
43 Have now reinstalled older driver (173.14.15) and all is now working
44 as expected. Although this is a beta driver. Will try an older driver
45 and see what happens.
46
47 Thanks for your help
51 John D Maunder