From: Rick Harris <rickharris@×××××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Black Screen of Death
Date: Thu, 15 Jan 2009 05:09:19
1 On Thu, 15 Jan 2009 07:32:31 am John wrote:
2 > Nothing in Xorg logs, system logs
3 > Lockup is complete - machine is totally unresposive even to ssh/ping
4 > x11-drivers/nvidia-drivers-177.82
5 > Kernel version 2.6.27-gentoo-r7
6 > Card is Geforce GO 6100.
7 > PC is laptop and logout has been working, maybe a update has done this
8 > and i have missed it.
9 > Is this common?
10 > Using syslog-ng, if you could advise on a config that may pick
11 > something up in logs
12
13 I had a similar problem on my HP Compaq laptop, but not limited to just
14 logging out of an Xorg session, the hard freeze could occur at any time.
15
16 The solution for me was to add 'noapic nolapic noirqdebug' to my kernel's boot
17 parameters in grub.conf (see /usr/src/linux/Documentation/kernel-
18 parameters.txt).
19
20 How does this relate to the nvidia driver not working and Xorg's 'nv' driver
21 working you might ask. The nvidia propietary driver claims/shares an IRQ, the
22 'nv' driver does not (AFAICT).
23
24 Either the APIC on my laptop or Linux's implementation of using it is buggy,
25 but the best result for me was to disable it using the above kernel
26 parameters.
27
28 Something to try anyway, hope it helps :)
31 Cheers,
32 Rick