From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: How's the openrc update going for everyone?
Date: Thu, 12 May 2011 14:34:35
1 Indi wrote:
2 > On Thu, May 12, 2011 at 03:50:02PM +0200, Dale wrote:
3 >
4 >> Alan McKinnon wrote:
5 >>
6 >>> They can do any damn thing they want to with their code. They also you owe
7 >>> support for it in exactly the same amount you paid for it. Which is to say
8 >>> "nothing".
9 >>>
10 >>> It's not a question of "should", it's only a question of "Dale would prefer it
11 >>> if"
12 >>>
13 >>>
14 >>>
15 >> So, you think most of the KDE users were happy to see support for KDE3
16 >> being dropped, especially considering KDE4 was much less than stable?
17 >> For me and a lot of others, it was worthless at first. It was good eye
18 >> candy but not functional even for the little I do.
19 >>
20 >> Yea, it is what I want but it is also what MANY others wanted. Some of
21 >> those people switched to something else or still use KDE3. It's their
22 >> code, but if people stop using it, what is it really worth? I'm sure
23 >> KDE wants to gain users not piss them off and make them go away.
24 >>
25 >> For me, if KDE does such a lousy switch over again, I'll be using
26 >> something else. Given the posts I read where others have already done
27 >> so, I doubt I would be alone. I'm all for second chances. We all learn
28 >> the hard way sometimes. I'm just hoping KDE did.
31 > I had 8 users on kde before 3 was deprecated in 2009.
32 > Now I have zero. It was a harrowing time, switching
33 > everyone to gnome, finding that is not so hot, finally
34 > putting them on xfce. If xfce gets a wild hair and changes
35 > my plan is to dumb down the fluxbox or openbox
36 > configs I have for my own use, add some scripting and call
37 > it a day.
38 >
39 > No-one disputes the freedom of the devs to do anything
40 > they wish with their code.
41 > It's just like anything else in life: you're free to do
42 > anything you want. Just know the consequences before
43 > you act or you may get burned.
47 Yep. A lot of KDE users was upset. The thing is, if they had got out
48 just a few more releases, it would have been much better. They were
49 improving KDE4 pretty fast but not fast enough. Since KDE3 was fairly
50 complete, all it needed was a little love here and there. They didn't
51 have to reinvent the wheel every month to keep KDE3 running. It can't
52 be to bad since some users got together and are still maintaining KDE3
53 tho I don't know how good that is working out since I don't have it
54 installed here anymore.
55
56 Dale
57