From: Indi <thebeelzebubtrigger@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: How's the openrc update going for everyone?
Date: Thu, 12 May 2011 14:02:00
1 On Thu, May 12, 2011 at 03:50:02PM +0200, Dale wrote:
2 > Alan McKinnon wrote:
3 > > They can do any damn thing they want to with their code. They also you owe
4 > > support for it in exactly the same amount you paid for it. Which is to say
5 > > "nothing".
6 > >
7 > > It's not a question of "should", it's only a question of "Dale would prefer it
8 > > if"
12 > So, you think most of the KDE users were happy to see support for KDE3
13 > being dropped, especially considering KDE4 was much less than stable?
14 > For me and a lot of others, it was worthless at first. It was good eye
15 > candy but not functional even for the little I do.
16 >
17 > Yea, it is what I want but it is also what MANY others wanted. Some of
18 > those people switched to something else or still use KDE3. It's their
19 > code, but if people stop using it, what is it really worth? I'm sure
20 > KDE wants to gain users not piss them off and make them go away.
21 >
22 > For me, if KDE does such a lousy switch over again, I'll be using
23 > something else. Given the posts I read where others have already done
24 > so, I doubt I would be alone. I'm all for second chances. We all learn
25 > the hard way sometimes. I'm just hoping KDE did.
28 I had 8 users on kde before 3 was deprecated in 2009.
29 Now I have zero. It was a harrowing time, switching
30 everyone to gnome, finding that is not so hot, finally
31 putting them on xfce. If xfce gets a wild hair and changes
32 my plan is to dumb down the fluxbox or openbox
33 configs I have for my own use, add some scripting and call
34 it a day.
35
36 No-one disputes the freedom of the devs to do anything
37 they wish with their code.
38 It's just like anything else in life: you're free to do
39 anything you want. Just know the consequences before
40 you act or you may get burned.
43 caveat utilitor