From: Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] 'emerge -e world' question
Date: Tue, 13 Jan 2009 15:44:39
1 Hi,
2
3 I normally do "emerge -uDvN @world" (or in other words "emerge
4 --update --deep --verbose --newuse @world"). Right now, it tells me
5 this:
6
7 Total: 0 packages, Size of downloads: 0 kB
8
9 I also --depclean on a regular basis to remove any unneeded packages.
10 Right now, it tells me this:
11
12 No packages selected for removal by depclean
13
14 Based on those two commands, I'm led to believe I have a fully updated
15 system. So, then, I am curious why when I do "emerge -e @world" it
16 tells me this:
17
18 Total: 1432 packages (9 upgrades, 2 downgrades, 14 new, 1407
19 reinstalls, 1 interactive), Size of downloads: 76,235 kB
20
21 How is that possible? Where do those upgrades, downgrades and new
22 packages come from? What is missing from my traditional "-uDvN"
23 command that is causing me to miss some of those updates?
24
25 Thanks,
26 Paul