From: Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: 'emerge -e world' question
Date: Tue, 13 Jan 2009 15:48:25
1 On Tue, Jan 13, 2009 at 9:44 AM, Paul Hartman
2 <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com> wrote:
3 > Hi,
4 >
5 > I normally do "emerge -uDvN @world" (or in other words "emerge
6 > --update --deep --verbose --newuse @world"). Right now, it tells me
7 > this:
8 >
9 > Total: 0 packages, Size of downloads: 0 kB
10 >
11 > I also --depclean on a regular basis to remove any unneeded packages.
12 > Right now, it tells me this:
13 >
14 > No packages selected for removal by depclean
15 >
16 > Based on those two commands, I'm led to believe I have a fully updated
17 > system. So, then, I am curious why when I do "emerge -e @world" it
18 > tells me this:
19 >
20 > Total: 1432 packages (9 upgrades, 2 downgrades, 14 new, 1407
21 > reinstalls, 1 interactive), Size of downloads: 76,235 kB
22 >
23 > How is that possible? Where do those upgrades, downgrades and new
24 > packages come from? What is missing from my traditional "-uDvN"
25 > command that is causing me to miss some of those updates?
26 >
27 > Thanks,
28 > Paul
29
30 Before anyone responds I will throw in my theory :)
31
32 I'm using ~amd64 and I suppose perhaps the ebuilds have changed since
33 I installed them, but have not had a version increase. So, the
34 foobar-0.10 installed on my box has different dependencies than the
35 foobar-0.10 currently in portage, and portage doesn't check for
36 same-version changes unless you re-emerge it.