From: Joerg Schilling <Joerg.Schilling@××××××××××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] How reliable is ext3?
Date: Wed, 24 Apr 2013 09:38:43
1 Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk> wrote:
2
3 > On Wed, 24 Apr 2013 10:50:11 +0200, Alan McKinnon wrote:
4 >
5 > > Then I want to tell the system how much storage I want for what purpose.
6 > > If Joe Blow is to get 20G of storage for his ~, I want to tell the
7 > > system there is a thing called joeb and it has a hard quota of 20G. The
8 > > software must then go and do all the magic, because I am tired of doing
9 > > the magic myself.
10 >
11 > It's a shame there appears to be no equivalent of a soft quota in ZFS.
12 > Maybe it is the use of the term quota that is misleading, when in reality
13 > it is more akin to volume size.
14
15 The quota concept in ZFS ist just different...
16
17 While Linux just uses the Melbourne Quota code that has been written for *BSD,
18 zfs uses a new concept that fits the constraints of a COW filesystem with
19 writable snapshots.
22 ZFS may on the other side may allow to write much more than in the limitation
23 data as the quota is checked only when a sync() happens (which is aprox. every
24 3 seconds).
25
26 Jörg
29 EMail:joerg@××××××××××××××××××××××××.de (home) Jörg Schilling D-13353 Berlin