From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] How reliable is ext3?
Date: Wed, 24 Apr 2013 09:27:11
1 On Wed, 24 Apr 2013 10:50:11 +0200, Alan McKinnon wrote:
2
3 > Then I want to tell the system how much storage I want for what purpose.
4 > If Joe Blow is to get 20G of storage for his ~, I want to tell the
5 > system there is a thing called joeb and it has a hard quota of 20G. The
6 > software must then go and do all the magic, because I am tired of doing
7 > the magic myself.
8
9 It's a shame there appears to be no equivalent of a soft quota in ZFS.
10 Maybe it is the use of the term quota that is misleading, when in reality
11 it is more akin to volume size.
12
13 > I suppose the main attraction can be summed up thusly: ZFS lets me stop
14 > being the human in a place where a computer belongs :-)
15
16 +1 on all but the quota thing.
20 Neil Bothwick
21
22 Mouse: (n.) an input device used by management to force computer users to
23 keep at least a part of their desks clean.