From: Harry Putnam <reader@×××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: How to play quicktime (*.mov) videos with firefox
Date: Sun, 30 Aug 2009 12:16:53
1 Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com> writes:
2
3 > You have it wrong.
4
5 A not unusual state of affairs for me, I'll admit.
6
7 After several yrs on gentoo... I still don't understand fully the use
8 of the USE flags.
9
10 > "USE=<thing>" is supposed to add *support* for <thing>, not
11 > necessarily *install* something called <thing>. Whatever <thing>
12 > means in the context of a specific ebuild depends on what the ebuild
13 > is for, and different ebuilds with the same USE flag may have
14 > entirely different DEPEND stanzas, depending on how the package is
15 > written and what it needs to build/run.
16
17 But wouldn't having the gnome use flag active cause updates to pull in
18 stuff that may not be necessary for the one or two gnome based tools
19 $user wants?